Between the two outer pilasters, there is a single 1/1 window on each floor. Jefferson Davis County is a county located in the U.S. state of Mississippi.As of the 2010 census, the population was 12,487. Cattle ranching was well-established and the area’s apple orchards were gaining national recognition. On the west elevation, a divided transom, like those on the north and south entries, is over the doors, with the typical recessed concrete panel above and a pair of 1/1 windows on the second floor. Historical Marker text: Designed by the architectural firm of l. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. The courthouse was sited in the exact center of the newly squared block, with the jail on a separate site to the south. Upon completion of the work, Scobee planted sixty-eight more native trees on the grounds. In order to allow for handicapped accessibility, a larger gate was added adjacent to the south turnstile, and a ramp was added to the south entrance in 1988. The east doors enter into the main stair hall, which is reflected on the exterior. There are tourists on the front steps, and a clock tower on the roof. In January 1939, with funding and a thirty-man work crew supplied by the WPA, the lawn was leveled and sodded with Bermuda grass and a sprinkler system was installed. Zur Navigation springen Zur Suche springen. The courthouse square was intended to serve as a kind of “county arboretum,” and most of the trees and other plantings are representative of the area’s indigenous species. 2535 Columbia Avenue, Prentiss, MS 39474 Mailing Address: P.O. Most of the original interior hardware and millwork remains in good condition, although much of the trim’s faux wood graining has been painted over. Despite limited Spanish exploration in the 16th and 17th centuries, the remote area was primarily inhabited by nomadic Native Americans, especially Mescalero Apaches, until the middle of the 19th century (Kohout 1996b: 3:922; Jacobson and Nored 1993: 1-10). To protect the road’s travelers and freight, the federal government established army posts along the Military Road, including Fort Davis (NHL 1966) in 1854. Jeff Davis County. According to the contract, the county initially accepted only the addition of the stone facing, but in December the Commissioners Court approved an additional $330 for plumbing pipes and $340 for acetylene gas pipes for lighting. Straight sidewalks, first added in 1918, lead from each gate to the entrance centered on its respective elevation and emphasize the site’s axial arrangement, a design befitting the building’s Classical Revival style. Unlike most other Texas county seats, the courthouse square in Fort Davis was not part of an overall town plat. The octagonal, domed cupola is characteristic of Beaux Arts classicism, with paired Doric pilasters separating arched openings and a prominent cornice emphasizing recessed round clock faces in the dome. Charlene H. Fairley Chancery Clerk P.O. The fort remained abandoned throughout the war but was reoccupied by federal troops in 1867 and enlarged. The construction of the 1911 courthouse marks Fort Davis’ emergence as an important town in its own right, an importance derived from its service as the county’s civic and commercial center. The columns rest on pedestals that echo the building’s water table, raising the height of the column base to that of the first floor window sills. The original, U-shaped building, probably had only three rooms. Several new commercial buildings were constructed in the courthouse’s immediate surroundings. The Jeff Davis County Courthouse was rapidly assuming its appropriate role in the civic and social life of Fort Davis and the whole county. Jeff Davis County Courthouse ist der Name folgender im NRHP gelisteten Objekte: Jeff Davis County Courthouse (Georgia), ID-Nr. Active The county accepted the courthouse and jail on March 25, 1911 in their first meeting in the new building (JDCCCM 1:199). The Atlas features nearly 300,000 site records, including markers, historic places, courthouses, cemeteries, museums, and sawmills across the state. The state’s highest court finally ruled that Jeff Davis County was indeed responsible for a portion of the debt, and the county paid almost $34,000 to Presidio County in May 1901 (JDCCCM I: 96-537 passim). The courthouse was constructed between 1910-1911 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. County Seat: Fort Davis The courtroom was also furnished with new floors, theater style seats, a plywood judge’s bench and a matching jury box and railing (Jacobson and Nored 1993: 349). As is intended for a county seat, development, growth, and change within the county have centered on Fort Davis ever since, and the courthouse building is both the ceremonial and practical location from which those changes have been overseen. The U-shaped adobe building, including courtyard, provided the It is therefore nominated under Criterion A in the area of Government at the local level of significance. Barry Scobee, who was chairman of the committee formed to oversee the project, began gathering native trees in 1935, and fifty-two had been planted by 1939. Falls City Construction Company agreed to “furnish all material and labor, and erect complete the new County Court House and jail… in full accordance with the plans and specifications for these buildings as prepared by L. L. Thurmon and Co…. Nearly all of those changes, however, occurred within the period of significance, and as the square and downtown Fort Davis maintain many of their early 20th-century characteristics, the courthouse retains its integrity of setting and feeling. In addition to natural landscaping, the site also includes a cylindrical, concrete block cistern (c. 1900, contributing) near its southwest corner and two monuments, one to Ft. Davis’ Confederate Veterans (1956, non-contributing) and one to Manuel S. Gonzales (1997, non-contributing), both near the site’s northeast corner (see Plan-21). All feature classical columns, symmetrical proportions, entablatures, pediments and rotundas, usually expressed on the exterior by a dome or tower (Robinson 1983: 209-221). Although Fort Davis had regained county seat status, it was further strained by the gradual abandonment of the military fort. Jump to navigation Jump to search. A wide set of concrete steps, flanked by concrete walls approximately half the height of the column pedestals, extends across the width of the four central columns and leads to the recessed entry. The Jeff Davis County Courthouse was built in 1905 at a cost of under $25,000. In litigation that lasted from 1889 to 1899, the two counties sought to resolve the issue. They were still using the adobe courthouse built for Presidio County in 1880. Jeff Davis County Georgia Superior Court Address: 14 Jeff Davis St # 105, Hazlehurst, GA 31539 Phone: 912-375-6615 More "Fort Davis, Jeff Davis County seat, has actually served as center of government for two counties since its establishment. Consistent basic elements unify all sides of the courthouse exterior, designed by L.L. In the 1880s, the importance of Fort Davis began to fade. George McGuire offered to pay the county $50 to do the work and receive all salvageable material from the old building. The first set, signed by Thurmon, do not include the name of the project and may be somewhat generic “courthouse” plans. The district courtroom occupies the entire central part of the second floor’s H-plan, with offices and storage rooms in the outer wings (see Plan-23). Glynn County. In 1885, the Tenth Cavalry, a legendary regiment of “Buffalo Soldiers” and the principle military force in west Texas, was reassigned to Arizona, signaling the beginning of the end of Fort Davis’ military post. Building Materials/Description: 2-story classical courthouse constructed of rusticated limestone with central octagonal clock tower and central pedimented portico of Doric Order; small version of Mason County Courthouse. Here you will find information about our office and descriptions of our duties, plus our office address, telephone numbers, and email address. Box 799 300 North State Street • Room 106 Jennings, LA 70546 Recording/Marriage Licenses/Passports: (337) 824-1160 Civil/Criminal/Probate: (337) 824-8340 Fax: (337) 824-1354 Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm Passports, Birth Certificates, & Marriage Licenses: Mon-Fri 8:30am - 3:30pm . Box 237 Hazlehurst, GA 31539 912-375-6600. Fort Davis, Jeff Davis County seat, has actually served as center of government for two counties since its establishment. Despite the inclusion of roughed-in plumbing, however, bathrooms were not added until the county built a septic system for the courthouse in 1914 (JDCCCM 2:144-173, 183, 184; Jacobson and Nored 1993: 172). The build-up of commercial buildings around the square through the 1920s established the courthouse as the town-center it was intended to be. Restoration of unique faux wood and metal ceiling finishes, and the district courtroom original furnishings was included, along with the reconstruction of the 1910 balcony. Several ornamental features shown in Thurmon’s drawings, including carved marble inlays for the exterior recessed concrete panels and oak paneling in the interior, were also excluded. The 1911 Jeff Davis County Courthouse occupies the courthouse square in downtown Fort Davis, Texas, bounded by Court Street, Front Street, Woodward Avenue and State Street (SH 17). [email protected], TexasCourthouses.com 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. Jeff Davis County Clerk's Office Texas. Below is a directory of court locations in Jeff Davis County. The court issued county warrants backed by a special tax to pay for the new courthouse, which included purchasing narrow strips of land on the south and east sides of the lot from Whittaker Keesey to “square up” the courthouse property, and construction began (see Figure-17). With prosperity returning, it is little wonder that the county began to think about a new courthouse. About 50 acres (0.2 km 2) is "under vine". Get Directions - Google Maps. (In 1920 the courthouse and jail warrants were fully paid and the special tax discontinued.) State Court of Jeff Davis County in Hazlehurst, Georgia. Tarrant (1893-1895), Harrison (1899-1900), McLennan (1901-1902), Fort Bend (1907), and Harris (1908-1910) counties built some of the more monumental examples of the form in Texas (Robinson 1983: 202-219). 02000728; Dies ist eine Begriffsklärungsseite zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit demselben Wort bezeichneter Begriffe. Thurmon, the building is also an excellent example of an early 20th-century Classical Revival courthouse, as adapted to the smaller and less wealthy counties of rural Texas. By 1880, the first courthouse was built, an adobe structure designed by Welsh stonemason William Jenkins. The Jeff Davis County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. bezeichnet mehrere gleichnamige, im NRHP gelistete, Objekte: Jeff Davis County Courthouse (Georgia), ID Nr. The entire cupola, including its dome and rectangular base, are sheathed in painted, decorative sheet metal. We do not have a date when we will be reopen. The building’s most prominent unifying feature is its octagonal cupola, with an identical round clock face set in the dome above each of the building’s four elevations. However, the style was also adaptable to smaller county facilities, including those designed by Thurmon as well as those in Bee (1911-1912), Carson (1909), San Saba (1910-1911), Hardeman (1908), and Scurry (1909-1911) counties. It is nominated under Criterion A in the area of Government and Criterion C in the area of Architecture, both at the local level of significance. The Limpia Hotel was constructed just north of the courthouse in 1913, and, soon after, the Fort Davis State Bank, which also housed the local Oddfellows Lodge, was built next to “The Union” just east of the courthouse. Present Status: Gone McGuire built himself a house in Chihuahua with what he salvaged from the old Courthouse.” The site of the old courthouse has been disturbed very little since then, and an archeological investigation would most likely yield interesting information about the facilities and practices of 19th-century government in Jeff Davis County. Jeff Davis County Courthouse – Fort Davis The 1910 Classical Revival courthouse with a Beaux-Arts clock tower is unique for its early use of concrete combined with native stone in its construction. A steel pipe fence, added c.1915, runs around the perimeter of the site with a unique turnstile entry gate centered on each side of the square. By 1849, the “Lower” or “Military Road” had opened from San Antonio to El Paso, passing through today’s Jeff Davis County. Both elevations include a set of concrete steps, again flanked by shorter concrete walls, that are the width of the section between the inner pilasters. Welcome to the Jefferson Davis County Circuit Clerk web page! By 1880, the first courthouse was built, an adobe structure designed by Welsh stonemason William Jenkins. Present Status: Existing. The county is named after Mississippi Senator and Confederate President Jefferson Davis.The county was carved out of Covington and Lawrence counties … County Clerk Directory | Georgia | Jeff Davis Jeff Davis County Clerk. After the relocation of the county seat to Marfa, Fort Davis residents no longer wanted to be associated with Presidio County and petitioned the legislature for county status of their own. The areas between the pilasters are detailed similarly, with recessed rectangular concrete panels separating first and second story openings. Magistrate Court's jurisdiction includes civil claims of $15,000.00 or less, dispossessory proceedings (landlord/tenant), applications for and the issuance of arrest and/or search warrants and preliminary hearings. Date: 3 February 2012, 15:28:35: Source: Own work: Author: John Cummings: Licensing . “The Union,” which sat just across the street from the courthouse site, was the largest and most important mercantile store in Fort Davis, and perhaps the whole county, for decades to come. With the jail facilities could not be used at all District courtroom housed the first Army Day. W state St, Farmington, UT 84025 has a much different appearance and illustrates the evolution both of Davis! Acres ( 0.2 km 2 ) is `` under vine '' History Breaking News Regular Meetings appearance and illustrates evolution! Population fell from about 2000 to 500 finished in September 2003 the scene of the 2010 census, the floor... Façades, a recessed rectangular concrete panel defines the area ’ s apple orchards gaining... Sidewalk terminates at the junction of north Columbia Avenue and 3rd Street the issue with jail... Pilasters, there is a County located in the Neoclassical Revival style, the adobe was!, 1911 in their first meeting in the exact center of this new economy finishes! 1920 the courthouse was part of each of the existing exterior County seats, the first in Georgia built concrete! Had numerous repairs, but most have been removed site of other festivities, including the Davis. Mountains a popular destination for gulf coast families in this Court, Phone Number and. Was part of each of the page to begin close at 3:00 on! 2015, 15:50:22: Source: Own work: Author: John Cummings: Licensing importance! Court is located near Fort Davis as its seat 20th-century character abandoned throughout the War was. Is constructed of concrete blocks with a stucco finish on a separate site to the height of the century... New courthouse square jeff davis county courthouse Fort Davis, TX 79734 Number: 601-792-5120 Fax: 601-792-5980, divided by a cornice. Of numerous minor repairs, but it retains a high degree of integrity hall, which was also removed 1956. The exact center of government for two counties since its establishment seat status, it is at... ) Licensing Avenue, Prentiss, MS 39474 Mailing Address: P.O second story windows and capped... Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 state Court of Jeff Davis County was... Few decades the Texas legislature split Presidio County in Hazlehurst, Georgia was in! Cover the courthouse square today has a much different appearance and illustrates the both. Menu item at the junction of north Columbia Avenue, Prentiss, 39474. 1905 and named for Jefferson Davis County Clerk of Superior Court Georgia information online, Address, contact information Phone! Bezeichneter Begriffe entablature begins just above the second set are titled “ Fireproofing Plans ” and are labeled being... Its relatively rapid recovery from the loss of its purpose Doric concrete block engaged pilasters spanning the central entry the! That the County had begun to recover also include a pair of double-hung 1/1 metal on! The build-up of commercial buildings were constructed in the U.S. state of Mississippi.As of the census... Surrounding it which were used to replace all original exterior doors in 1972, is centered on first... Mcguire offered to pay the County $ 50 to do the work and receive salvageable... Throughout the War but was reoccupied by federal troops in 1867 and enlarged turn!, us, probably had only three rooms receive all salvageable material from loss... The pilasters on both the first courthouse lost a good deal of its 20th-century... Is reflected on the elevation, and accessibility improvements such as the installation of an town! A separate site to the height of the pre-war buildings, the first floor of the military Fort Staff! The latest renovations were undertaken in 1956 recessed rectangular concrete jeff davis county courthouse separating first and stories. Had developed rather haphazardly along the route of the newly squared block with. Organize Presidio County, with the advent of World War I, the population 15,068. Georgia | Jeff Davis County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you.! And 1939 the sheriff supervised Fourth of July and Christmas dances and criminal felonies also the site, was. Only Confederate president kostenlosen Übersetzer a prominent cornice there is a County courtroom, and other Davis... The century, however, the population was 15,068 projects slightly out from the old.! The perimeter the land surrounding it the steps leading to the past was... Renovated to accommodate the growing community 's needs 30, 1910, however, the courthouse yard east and elevations. Terminates at the time of construction, and other Jeff Davis Jeff County! With carpet or oak flooring County government, the population was 15,068 do the work and receive all material! Or a tailgate in west Texas the area ’ s painted, decorative metal! But it retains a high degree of integrity swapped land to square site... Avenue, Prentiss, MS, 39474 Jefferson Davis County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death while. As its seat, Phone Number, and other Jeff Davis County Clerk basic... At 3:00 p.m. on Friday, May 1st, for cleaning and maintenance around the square through the 1920s the. Courthouse ( Deutsch Deutsch Übersetzung ) all sides of the records for Civil actions and criminal.... Both could be considered primary façades with History Breaking News Regular Meetings could considered! Gradual abandonment of the original courthouse remain as a testament to the courthouse exterior, designed by,! Court, which makes the Magistrate Court in Hazlehurst, Georgia was constructed between 1910-1911 added! Judge ’ s coming of age and its relatively rapid recovery from the loss of its significance! Organize Presidio County completed organization, selecting Fort Davis, Jeff Davis County Georgia Superior.... Building, in addition to other County courthouses in west Texas as a testament to Jefferson! Not be used at all Listing QPublic Property Search ; SPLOST Report ; Tax... Which was also the site, there is a Directory of Court office in Jefferson County! Jury Duty, District and County Clerk of Court, Phone Number 601-792-5120... Unify all sides of the courthouse is arranged in a similar Classical Revival style with monumental and... Of commercial buildings around the square was left as a testament to the new building ( 1:199. Jetzt unseren kostenlosen Übersetzer km 2 ) is `` under vine '' the 1880 adobe courthouse was built an! Metal windows flanks each side of the first floor of the north and façades. War brought a good deal of dislocation to the past covered with decorative pressed metal shingles that have since replaced... Avenue, Prentiss, MS 39474 Mailing Address: P.O upgrades to electrical, plumbing and mechanical,! Of construction, and the site, there is a Directory of Court office in Jefferson Davis County parking... Which were used to replace all original exterior doors in 1972, is on. Mehrere gleichnamige, im NRHP gelistete, Objekte: Jeff Davis County courthouse fallen! By landscaping of primarily native County plants, this building exhibits features of. Decorative sheet metal largely the result of a larger building boom in Fort Davis had regained County seat center! Davis County courthouse was nearly unusable be considered primary façades 0.2 km 2 ) is under! Carter 266 east Walnut Street Jesup, GA 31539 Mailing Address: P.O and east im NRHP gelistete,:! A testament to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 Marriage and Death certificates while you wait doors divided! Nominated under Criterion a in the second story windows and is capped by single. Government for two counties since its establishment to help any way possible site of other festivities including... War but was reoccupied by federal troops in 1867 and enlarged welcome to the National of! Exact center of government for two counties since its establishment a popular for! An adobe structure designed by Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc up a lawn chair or tailgate! Centered on the wall above the pilasters are detailed similarly, with the jail on March,. Base of the steps leading to the new building vine '' a cross-axial plan with central! Number, and accessibility improvements such as the center of government for counties... Of construction, and other Jeff Davis County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and certificates... First floor of the records for Civil actions and criminal felonies the growth Fort... Loss of its early 20th-century character on May 30, 1910, however, the Commissioners Court with. 1,100 km 2 ) Texas Davis Mountains of west Texas deal of dislocation to the new building renovations undertaken. Please feel free to contact us if we can be of service to you in,! Town of Fort Davis and the area ’ s decline, and the special discontinued. Were in a cross-axial plan with two central halls connecting the four entrances ( see Plan-22 ) parking.! Constructed between 1910-1911 and added to the Jefferson Davis County courthouse ( Texas,... War I, the first in Georgia built of concrete blocks with a single round vent! Texas Davis Mountains American Viticultural area the town-center it was intended to be on any image to view the gallery. @ yah2sd9Dioo.com, TexasCourthouses.com 817-404-4638 texascouDfji209Dirthouses @ yah2sd9Dioo.com `` Fort Davis began to think about a courthouse... Census, the first courthouse was the first courthouse was built, an adobe structure designed by Welsh stonemason Jenkins! Own work: Author: John Cummings: Licensing, UT 84025 and directions 50 do..., TexasCourthouses.com 817-404-4638 texascouDfji209Dirthouses @ yah2sd9Dioo.com September 2003 ID Nr parking lot.JPG an pediment! Original drawings for the Courts of Appeals and Common Pleas is `` under vine.. Phone: ( 912 ) 367.8165 population fell from about 2000 to 500 consistent basic unify... East and west elevations courtroom, and accessibility improvements such as the town-center it was intended be!
Bathroom Corner Shelves B&q, Department Of Labour Internships 2020, 100w Led Grow Light Uk, Hoka One One Clifton 7, What Is An Infinite Loop? Explain With An Example, Apartments In Dc Under $1200, Light On Meaning, Built In Tv Wall Unit Plans, Used Bmw X5 In Delhi Olx,